06-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #35
jafxdwg
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 3.0si Artic White with Red

My Life with a Z4M Bumper !

Well I did it!
Installed the Z4M Bumper today.
Removal of the Facelift went without much drama.
The push rivets in the wheel wells on my 08 3.0si appear to have been improved and could not be reused.
A trip to Home Depot (Auto Fastener trays) located the older version at a cost of less than a Canadian Buck

Inspection of the undertrays exposed some slight damage to 3 fittings.
I cut some material from my donner bumper and used epoxy (JB Weld) to repair and reinforce these areas.

Installing the M Bumper went as described by many.
The previously mentioned short coming of the Facelift undertray is being solved via a piece from the donnar bumper as well.
I made a template that will fill the gap with a transition piece ..I'll add that here later later.

Here it is !

Note the colour matched brake cooling ducts. As mentioned previously I went with this to maximize the visual depth of the duct. While the colour is matched, I didn't clear coat the duct, preferring a flat white.
The Kidney Grills are flat black with the trim ring glossy black.

You can see the glossy trim on the kidney grill in this pic.

Fog Lights in the brake duct.
The wiring was already there on the facelift bumper.
I went with a round LED Fog / Driving (?) Light mounted deep in the brake cooling duct.
The original bulb was a halogen and I couldn't locate a female receptacle so I took out my solderless connectors and modified a simple blade connector (cut it's width via tin snips so it fit)
Checked the polarity and taped everything snug. Worked like a charm.

I went with the stock lic. plate holder. Seeing as the local paper did a story on the constabulary taking offense to obstructed and modified plates. Actually I preferred the stock bracked turned upside down and mounted about an inch lower than stock.

So there yah have it !

Last edited by jafxdwg; 06-02-2014 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0