View Single Post
      02-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #2
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

I'd like to first identify that there is some irony in the fact that the most upfront/informative place of knowledge was a "Mustang and Ford" domain.

Regardless, there's a ton of knowledge here and it you've taken everything into consideration. I think for the vast majority of us we consider the most basic principles of the first law of thermodynamics (heat passing through a system creates work/energy, more of this = more power [hence our knowledge of your description of "power adders") and everything past that is a little bit of sorcery, but this was easy to read and straight forward. I learned a lot here and I am very appreciative of that, and I hope others walk away with the same knowledge.

What I'm most curious about is the actual heart of the system itself, because that becomes the next question I'd think. A solution to it that question would be purely curiosity at this point and would require a ton of data points. In this case you have found the most efficient system given the system is an M54B30. Would it be fair to apply this same theory to other engine models? Different capacities, cylinders, even a rotary?

In our case for these motors and these cars is this the most applicable power (as in usable or performance power and not just a number for a Dyno)? Would you say that a turbo setup would not out perform there is an option for that as well (I would assume that this would be true given a turbo does not start producing boost until later stages and would be too far behind, as you said usable torque wins out every time).

Just some curious questions as I was reading. I'll make sure to re-read with greater attention soon. I really enjoyed this analysis.