View Single Post
      02-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #87
Armatron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: z4mc

No kidding, if I had known how much better it was I would've taken the time to figure out the coding process years ago. IMHO it's worth taking the coding file to someone and paying them to code your car (especially once we get all of the different codings figured out... nav/no nav, DSP/no DSP, etc)

It is totally different.. Listening to the coding back to back it sounds like a completely new sound system. Even after a week of the 'new' coding I am still amazed every time I get in the car.

It is a terrible shame that BMW screwed this up so badly from the factory as the speakers and amp sound really good when coded properly. I'm fairly particular about audio quality.. I have a full audioengine setup at home, etc etc, and am very satisfied with the 'new' coding in my e86.

Again, I have a sinking feeling that even with the new coding many of you will need new subwoofers to get the full effect if you've tried to overcome the original coding issues by raising the bass level. Over time mine got noticeably muddier and muddier, I suspected it was due to amp coding so I had them replaced under warranty and they sounded a good bit better (but still extremely underpowered). After they were replaced I basically stopped listening to the stereo above quiet volumes to prevent the new subs from getting distorted.

This is the same as home theater stuff... Take a 300 watt sub, power it with 100w and you will eventually damage the sub. Once this happens, even if you power it with 300w it's not the same.
Appreciate 0