Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Maestro brings up a good point about jammers. My LIDAR gun will tell me if I'm being jammed, and if that's the case the motorist using the jammer is definitely getting pulled over.

P.S. I am also certified in my state to visually estimate speed, so I don't even need to use anything to write the citation. In California, we have to be able to visually estimate speed +/- 5mph to use radar/LIDAR. During certification we have to achieve something like 85-90% accuracy.
Use to live in CA, and have to agree the CHP are much more disciplined. I know you have to be able to visually estimated and over time people can get good at it. It is not foul proof. I have seen and read when people fought their tickets and officer had to fall back on the visual estimate. The person would request judge to allow them to prove the officer could not actually estimate. Most time the officer does fail to estimate since the estimate relays on a frame of reference usually other moving traffic. Therefore you can set up scenarios which makes it hard to estimate. It far worse when the office is not stationary or at an odd angel to motion such as if they are also moving. People can not deal with relativity (two things moving in relationship to one another) estimate go all over the place.
If we are moving, that's pacing, not estimation. If I'm shooting LIDAR I am stationary. If I am visually estimating I am stationary and I'm using a fixed object or series of objects to estimate speed (…e.g….a light pole, traffic sign, etc.). I will also use myself as a reference point and estimate speed based on how fast the vehicle is approaching me. My eyes know what 35mph, 45mpg, 55mph, 65mph, etc. look like in terms of vehicle speed.

Most people visually estimate speed on a daily basis. When we are crossing the street and look at oncoming cars, we are doing the calculation in our heads without even realizing it. You know when a vehicle is traveling too fast to safely make it across the street.
Appreciate 2
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
jabrax10.50