12-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #132
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC (Sepang/Sepang/insane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
It seems like it's just different color wires then the e46 but no one wants to spend the time/money to look at diagrams and connect everything. Similarly it should be same as the e46 dme as you said. I hope you keep track of every connection to setup the AEM, because if you do you can make a good buck and help a lot of people out on this platform in converting over. I do know HPF got two pro-EFI system to work on two Z4M's.
Well, the DME is completely different, which is the thing. Interestingly, a lot of the wire colours are actually identical. It makes some sense considering that the engine-side loom is identical, wouldn't have made any sense to assemble that side differently. That being said, I've already encountered a couple of oddities in the DME loom that strongly suggest assembly-time adaptation of the harnesses. Which is kind of cool.

Started by disassembling the DME connectors. They're actually a handful of connectors inside a housing, so a little screwdriver and a few minutes and suddenly things are a lot easier to work with:

Started with the coils since I'm not just adapting the harness there, have to put the ignitors in the mix. I figured this would be a reasonable place to mount the ignitors:

And then got everything wired up:

And that's as far as I got so far today. Protip: try very, very hard to use similar colours when mating a factory harness with a new harness you're building. Because I was doing that, I caught a mistake I made in the wiring diagram (yes, I am keeping as-built notes and will update the diagrams later on). Took 5 minutes to straighten out instead of the hours of diagnostics it would have cost down the road.

Phew.
Appreciate 1