View Single Post
      01-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #59
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 s/c'd Z4MC '08 e82 '02 m3

Time to update!

Took the car for one final drive to have somewhat of a before/after comparison to draw from. Put the car on the lift and got to work!

Rpi's off, section 1 and 2 off together.

First up was the CDV delete, followed by adding nordlocks to the sway bar End links and then the rogue trans mounts.

Took the OEM headers off, and then had access to the passenger side engine mount to install the vibra technic goodies. Added stronger 10.9 bolts and more nordlocks with some antisieze and torqued everything to spec. Moved onto the drivers side, little bit more of a challenge but got that all in.

Changed the oil and filter and drain plugs, and flushed the trans fluid, and filled. When I got under the car the fill screw was stripped already, luckily a pair of vice grips did the trick and I replaced both plugs.

Bolted up the dkf to the section 2 on the ground and all was left was the headers and reassembling the exhaust. Dunn dunn dunnnnnnn.

So the previous owner had a set of uninstalled supersprint replicas that I picked up for next to nothing (literally) and I figured what the hell, they worked on my e46, I will give them a shot. BAD IDEA. I installed longer e36 studs and the front header went on fine after indenting for the front control arm. The rear isn't even close to fitting. If the flanges that meet the studs and head are set on flat ground, cylinder 6 is flush, cylinder 5 is 1/4" off the ground and cylinder 4 is 1/2". So I marked it to where I thought it should be, and took a torch to heat it up( outside of the car obviously) and slowly bent it back into shape. After hours I stopped and tried to fit it on the studs again(first time around I could get it on cylinder 6's studs but it was torqued from fitting on cylinder 5 and 4. This time around it went on all of the studs, however further examination showed that the end that meets section 1, was now not parallel to the front header. And therefore would not work.

Long story short, as soon as I sell my old bbs wheels I will be getting a set of CPI headers!!!!

Moral of the story- M's don't like it when you cheap out on them no matter if the oil you are putting in them still costs $14 a liter!!

So this is how helios sits now, exhaust-less and now I am worried that I won't be able to eliminate my cel with the dkf.
Appreciate 0