View Single Post
      06-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #67
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Has anyone had multiple pump failures? I replaced the pump two years ago and when we took it out of storage a few weeks ago, the top is inop once again. The windows lower, the latches unlock, then I hear a relay clicking under the dash but no motor engagement. I'm a bit skeptical that the motor failed in two years on a vehicle that is stored and not driven 1/2 it's life, but my BMW service adviser seems to indicate this is a fairly normal lifespan for the new motors!

Thoughts?

Edit 6/20/2019:

I did some electrical testing and the motor is getting power, so out comes the top again. After removing the top and cutting all the caulking away from the motor housing I found the rusted remains of my motor. Apparently my sealing skills two years ago were not as good as I thought they were. I've learned my lesson. I have a new motor on the way (damn these things got expensive over the last two years) and I'm definitely relocating it to the trunk. Thankfully it looks like the actuators and lines are still intact and not leaking. After wire wheel cleaning all the rusty metal with a dremel, I plan on adding quite a bit more POR 15 rust preventative paint to the surfaces of the lines and actuators to help prolong their life and prevent future corrosion. The surfaces I coated two years ago with POR 15 are completely rust free now.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rotzy; 06-20-2019 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0