View Single Post
      10-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
HarryFD
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirOpsMgr View Post
I recently replaced the top motor, which required removal of the top; pretty sure you can't replace the seal as it is bonded to the fabric. When I removed the seal on mine, I noticed that the compound within the seal was dried up and cracking, perhaps you have a similar issue which is allowing water to get in. When I put my top back on, I used some non-curing silicone grease to re-seal the rubber lip.

Maybe try opening the trunk, pour water slowly over the suspected area of the top and see if it drips from within the trunk ceiling (where the seal meets the frame) - you might need to remove the soft top compartment floor to view this.

If it is the seal; you can pull the seal out (without removing the entire top), add some silicone grease, put it back together and hopefully resolve the issue.

ShipKiller has an excellent DIY with pics for the top removal:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ht=top+removal

To just undo the seal, you will only need steps 1-3 and 5-6 of his DIY (no need to do #4). Also, you may not need step 5, which details removing the soft top compartment floor if you are able to see the leak without removing it, but if you want to identify exactly where the leak is occuring, it may help.
I had water getting in the pocket on the right side of the trunk. I followed the above to reseat the weather strip and used a bit of non-hardening rubber sealant to fill some gaps. Last night we had a heavy downpour and the trunk was dry!

Thanks!
Appreciate 1