Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalaugh View Post
Only running 5.8psi, currently on a 4" pulley, wanting to up boost to around 15-16psi, so will be fitting a MLS headgasket and some ARP HEAD STUDS before I do. Would love some advice on what thickness head gasket to install.

I have a host of other mods but won't bore this forum with them as it's vehicle specific not engine.
Nice setup!

With an MLS head gasket you will lower CR and lose bottom end power. The only reason to lower CR is to prevent detonation because the intake charge is too hot. With water/meth only, S54's are able to run double digit boost numbers, so I don't think there's any reason why our 10.2 CR motors can't run more boost with proper tuning.

The first design limit you will encounter (assuming proper tuning) is the head lifting, and then possibly the intake manifold (though I haven't found a definite answer here). ARP head studs will prevent the head from lifting. Fortunately - or unfortunately, depending on your goals - centrifugal superchargers increase torque where it normally falls off at the top of the rpm band. Head lift is related to torque more than horsepower.

I'm still planning to proceed with this build, but it's #3 on the list. First I'm looking to buy a house; next I have a car I'm looking to purchase. Then I will pull the motor myself once I'm settled this summer/fall. Because of the car's high miles and age, I'll be doing a full rebuild. So, plans have been delayed a bit, but I'm still going forward with the build.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0