11-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
agc93
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Lightbulb Necromancy lives on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangozac View Post
Hi all,

I love my 2.5i Zed to bits but a few months back I began yearning for more power. So I'm looking at either a 3.0si or Z4M but as many know these cars (especially the M) are much rarer here in Oz.

I'm leaning towards the M, but the price premium is high so I really want to go for a drive/ride in one to experience what it's like. People who know me have recommended the M, but I need to experience for myself.

So my question is this: are there any Z4M owners on here from SE QLD? Or does anybody know of one? If so I'd really appreciate being shown what the car is like so I can decide what I want. Coupe or Roadster doesn't matter - both will give a pretty good feel for it (I'm a roadster man for the record).

Fingers crossed someone out there will be able to help out!
Sorry to resurrect the thread massively so long after the point and you may have gathered this with research but thought it worth pointing out:

The 'si' models only came in with the 2006 facelift models. All the pre-facelift models were only designated as 'i' since they had the heavier M54. Confusingly, after the facelift there was still a normal 'i' and an 'si' model, both with the new N52, just the 'si' justified the s with about 50 extra horses and a welcome increase in brake size.

With all that being said, if you're just interested in the engine, you could always try and find an E46 M3 (same engine as M Roadster and Coupe) and take that for a spin.

As for the price premium (last time I checked an E86 M cost literally double the price of a decent E85 3.0i!), you might also want to look into the 3.0i (full disclosure: I have a 3.0i). Before I bought this, I drove both the 2.5i and 3.0i (as well as matching E46 325Ci and 330Ci's) and they are chalk and cheese. While the 2.5 is plenty fun, as you pointed out, it could do with more power. The 3.0 doesn't seem like a huge upgrade on paper but it makes all the difference in practice. Mine goes like a rocket and serious hills are the only time I am left wanting.

Obviously this is all very subjective and not what you were originally looking for, but just my $0.02c.

Also, if you do go down this path, I know there is a 3.0i for sale down Nerang-way that I would never buy but you could take for a spin to get a feel for it.
Appreciate 0