View Single Post
      02-28-2024, 05:03 PM   #189
Z4Kevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
...Does the baseplate in the design have to be that bulky at the front and side edges ??
Yes and maybe no.

The unit will only sit down into the dash so far before it interferes with things, so you end up having to transition from the dash to the base of the screen somehow and this was the most elegant way i could find without endlessly designing and redesigning the dash mount into oblivion.

Plus, since we are talking about a 3d part printed in layers you need a bit more material (or different material altogether...Nylon, ABS, TPU) to develop an acceptable amount of strength in the part itself. Unlike injection molded plastics you can't go too thin or it will be incredibly fragile and flimsy.

I made simple tradeoffs, that in the end, could likely be overcome if you had the will and skill to do so...both of which for me were in short supply.

2007 BMW Z4M Coupe | Sapphire Black | 19" ZCP Wheels | Michelin PSS - 245/285 | Carbon Leather
Black Corners | UUC Short Shifter | ///M Racing Pedals | OE Strut Brace | LED Accents | PEMP Android

Last edited by Z4Kevo; 02-28-2024 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0