View Single Post
      02-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #21
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
So I do love my country but the fact is we are being taxed to death, and it's getting worse. Our healthcare isn't as great as everyone tells you. Our wait times are terrible, and unless you live in a large city or close to one you don't have a lot of services available to you so you're going to have to travel to get some services. Having said that if you have an emergency you will get excellent care. Because our system is government run, it is burdened down with bureaucracy, studies have shown that our healthcare system is more heavily administered than most others globally. I will say this though, about a decade ago I spent several months in the hospital, 3 major surgeries, multitudes of tests about a dozen CT scans and then the follow up care. The only bill I saw was for the TV I had in my room.
I don't know anything first hand about the Canadian healthcare system. But because of my medical situation, I have been active on the various cancer support forums. There are some people that fall into the situation you've mentioned that are in Canada. They live in a rural area and have to drive hours in to the nearest cancer treatment centers. With various things that is just life, they've had challenges with the whole logistics whether it be scans to actual treatment.

One thing I'm stunned about is the limit on access to your own information under the Canadian system. What I mean by this are lab results and scans. When you deal with cancer, you learn about this thing called scanxiety. It's the anxiety one feels just before going in for scans and the painful wait after for the results. From what I've seen, Canadians have to wait till they see their doctor before they know the results. Sometimes this is only a few days but can be as bad as a couple of weeks based on what I've seen on the forums. This would drive me nuts. For me, I have been able to get my scan images right after I finish the scan procedure and have been able to get the official radiology report later that day.
Appreciate 0