pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by abashoe View Post
bump. . .so is this really the traction setting that non-m's use b/c they have an open diff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
I can't help but think it differs from the M3 mode mentioned, though. My thinking is, why would BMW not enable this feature? I'm going to go with the 'intended for non-M' camp and that BMW did not need to reprogram things but rather deactivate that mode for the M models.
My guess is since our cars are so low production they didn't enable the feature. The M3 CSL has a button on the steering wheel for track mode, so they probably didn't want to add it. Many non-CSL M3 owners have enable it with coding.

The "M Track mode" does allow for a little more drift before intervening than with the DSC enabled. There are several MK60.C20 coding differences between the M and non-M. For instance, "DIFFERENTIAL LOCKING CONTROL" is aktiv on a non-M while it is non-aktiv on the M. I believe this is for the electronic LSD for the non-M. I attached the M and non-M trace file differences for review.

E85-MK60.C20-TraceDifferences.txt

From what I've been reading the biggest difference would be in wet conditions where it allows much more rear end drifting while still saving you from getting completely sideways. A wet track comes to mind. Or unfamiliar road or track until you know what/where the grip is.

Much more information can be found in this thread over at m3forum.net where they have also enabled M tack mode on their M3s that use the same Mk60.C20 module.
Appreciate 1