KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
I noted the EWD 234 and EWD 235....are these personalized plates??
Good catch. Not (exactly) personalized. The backstory..

I really like these older maroon Arizona plates. They were issued for about 15 years till around 2000. The next (white) plates are nice, but they delaminate badly with age. In 2008 they kept the design but made them FLAT, and I HATE any and all flat plates!

I found 3 consecutive plates on Ebay about 6-7 years ago - these 2 plus one more (EWD233) which is now on my wife's Kia Soul. They weren't even used - apparently they were the front plate that was issued (2 were issued at the time but a front plate wasn't required to be displayed).In Arizona, a plate stays tied to its last registration for 10 years. After that, it's free and clear. So any plate from Ebay that's clear can be registered again, but there's a catch - it can only be done for the original owner or a family member. Solution? Order it as a vanity plate. Get current-style plate with same letter/number combo, add it to the garage collection, put vintage plate & sticker on car - voila! So now they're tied to me, and I do pay the slight upcharge for vanity plate, but I don't care. They can be moved from car to car painlessly too.

One of the nice things about them - they have a nice raised white border, which precludes the need for putting them into a frame.