12-01-2020, 08:02 PM   #75
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtercoffee View Post
DaveJB, what was the spring length before or after? I am also bottoming out more often than I'd like on the front of my FA coilovers.
Also I don't quite see how a longer spring would help.
I spent a lot of time this summer getting my suspension to an acceptable fast road performance state. Check pages 14 and 15 where I posted my findings.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ndation/page14

The car DOES NOT need too stiff springs to ride and handle fine. With the spring selection I got with, my car rides and handles better, and at the rear is still too stiff, but that is the damper, not the springs. I have 250# and 600# springs, fronts are 8in, and rears are 6in, and they don't bottom out.

The front suspension has about 4in of usable travel, the rear has a bit more. Once the car is seating on the ground, our Z4Mīs have 2in of bump travel (assuming OE ride height).

When it comes to suspension you need to look at the whole system, not just springs.

Keep in mind that the moment you lower the car ANY amount, you eat suspension travel, which is the least you want for a road car. Lowering the car via springs and coilover perches is a compromise, there is no way around it. You can achieve some lowering by changing to a shorter camber plate design keeping all else equal.
Appreciate 0