01-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #5
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
They are cheap cars now to buy, but they were $100k cars - and they are not cheap to fix once something breaks down. Ionics fail ($600x2), VANOS solenoids are $1k each plus labor and you need 4 to replace. TBAs are $650 each plus labor (a lot of it). Rod bearings need to be replaced at some point guaranteed - that's easily a $3.5k job. SMG can crap out to the tune of $10k - clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, slave, fork, pivot pin, throwout bearing, guide bush, clutch position sensor, new SMG pump motor, and various other small bits (about $6k in parts alone) - that is what I had to do on mine and it all requires to drop the gearbox every time. There are no shops that are competent to work on these too, at least not in my area, so it becomes just gigantic pain in the ass. And that is just known major issues. Lots of small annoying electric gremlins. I bought my M6 for $28k back in 2014, and in 5 years I had it I probably spent another $25k to keep it on the road. Just for your perspective.

Beautiful cars though, here is mine:

Beautiful car indeed. I suppose if they had few issues they wouldn't be priced the way they are and it wouldn't have even crossed my mind. Just such an incredible engine and the design is aging well, like most Bangle designs. If I were to consider it, seems like a 650i with good history is the only realistic option. Every once and a while I hear from someone who had a worry free M6 for a year or two and sold it on for what he paid. But i'd rather not test my luck.
Appreciate 0