Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
Tempting! AriuSen do you happen to know the approx cost to add the cooler? I know you track hard so how did this perform with out the cooler on track?
We ran the car with water/meth, E85, and a lot more boost (and heat) than the kit normally runs. We never had a problem with coolant or oil temps, but I think EGT would get too high on hot days in the California desert. In extreme cases the ECU would enter a condition where it would stop applying fuel trims, possibly as a preservation strategy for the lambda sensors or as part of the catalyst overtemperature protection feature. The car is catless, and I think we could have figured it out eventually… it was just something that we encountered under very specific conditions so there wasn’t much opportunity for trial and error testing. This year we’re experimenting with some Innovate HBX adapters for the O2 sensors to reduce their exposure to high temperatures. With less boost and water/meth, it really wouldn’t be an issue. If you use the high boost pulley and push the kit to its limits in harsh conditions, it is something you could encounter that I would need to solve or work around.

The main reason we started with this kit was to demonstrate the advantages of E85 tuning by doing something that’s traditionally thought of as impossible (non-intercooled supercharger with raised boost on the track), and I’m one of the few tuners that offer E85 tuning for the Z4M. An intercooler is better of course, and since we had shown that the setup could be used on track with good results, Alex decided to move forward with a new intercooled setup.

ESS did give Alex a quote for the intercooler and piping, so I know they offer it. Unfortunately I don’t recall the exact cost.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0