View Single Post
      01-13-2016, 11:08 AM   #19
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

My e60 TB sits in a box in the garage. It's not a project I'm currently working on. Somewhere later this year maybe.

Quote:
With the vortech system, would there not be a restriction then at the throttle body? Thus a larger body would allow more flow? There may be a pressure drop, but CFM should technically increase right?
Obviously it's a restriction, but as it works in a higher compressed air pocket, the same amount of air (as in the same amount of air molecules) take up less space.
So air flow speed before the compressor is higher than air flow speed after the compressor (within the same crossection of a duct).

As for a vortech system, I guess that more can be gained by ditching the m54 intake manifold and maybe mounting a m50 (I think) manifold.
The m54 manifold is optimized for resonances in the air with the disa valve etc, but in a FI system, all the air is force feed in that manifold and through the valves into the cilinders, so I don't think it is very susceptible to resonances. Usually on FI systems you want a big intake plenum, which is basically a room to collect pressurized air.
The m50 manifold is very straight foreward (no disa) and I think it will allow for an adapterplate for a big bore TB.
The m50 manifold also has big bores to the valves/cilinders (m54 also; both are used as a mod on m52 engines, that has a restricted manifold)

This is an m50 manifold on a m52 engine:

Pretty straight foreward.
Obviously there has to be some custom piping for ICV and CCV (and custom piping from compressor to TB probably)
But there are a lot of aftermarket parts for this stuff as a lot of m50 manifolds are fitted on m52/m52TU engines, and the m52 is very similar to the m54, except for the drive by wire, but mounting another TB (and making an adapterplate) is what this is all about in the first place so that hurdle must be taken anyway. It might be an interesting mod for VF FI owners.

Is with the vortech system something special done to the ccv or is it stock?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 01-13-2016 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0