BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3boost View Post
Insurance payouts are what gets reported.

You can crash a car and if it doesn't get claimed by insurance it will say no accidents.
Just not true. We've had tons of cars traded with bad Carfaxes and the owner barely remembered a parking-lot incident that got reported to police where they never even had to fix anything and yet the incident shows on CarFax. We've also seen plenty of incidents where there was no police report and the CarFax was generated by the shop that did the repair. Just look at a CarFax and notice that it shows every dealership oil-change or even just a "wash and detail". It depends on what the shop reports and whether or not they report anything to CarFax. My car has a 2-inch scratch low on the rear apron that was touched-up with a tiny brush and some paint. Still shows on the CarFax. My Toyota pickup was totaled by my insurance after a deer hit but I kept it and repaired it. Decades later it still shows no CarFax incidents. We've had cars traded in with "clean" CarFaxes but an incident showed up on a CarFax over a year later. Carfax is far from a science, or even trustworthy. If it shows an incident, check the car. If it shows a clean CarFax . . . check the car even more carefully.
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1605.00