Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Residentj3553 View Post
I'd be cautious with the titanium valve springs and retainers. They require more maintenance in exchange for lightweight... but you probably already knew that.
I haven't seen enough data to convince me that the shorter life of titanium valve springs isn't primarily related to usage. Engines with titanium valve springs are usually run a whole lot harder than stock engines. Some even think the lighter weight improves the reliability of other components and reduces wear. I'm all ears if you've had other experiences... always willing to learn!
I'm sure driving it harder plays a big part in wear. Same as brand, processing and plenty of other variables. Some people have gone tens of thousands of miles with no problem and vice versa.
Just a word of caution that titanium is incredibly strong for its weight but not as durable as some may think. Just depends on its use..
But like I said, it looks like you've done your research already! Can't wait to see this engine running!
How high are you planning on raising the rpm?
Mods: ProFlex E85 Flexfuel kit, Eventuri Carbon Intake w/ RPI scoop, Megan Headers, Custom Axle-back exhaust, KW V3 Coilovers, Stoptech ST40 BBK, Poly FCABs, APEX PS-7s, Diode Dynamics Headlights, CF Trunk Spoiler, Sideskirts & Diffuser.
Appreciate 0