04-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #24
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicj View Post
Oh, this was years ago, before they even existed probably. Everything else was stock. I was just fishing around to see if I still had the Dyno sheet, but can't find it.
Their "tune" is for their scoops, yes? They don't sell software to use with other manufacturer's intakes, do they?
No, this was the ESS tune, which is supposed to be more adaptive than the OEM ECU for modifications. So basically when it detects increased flow, it compensates accordingly and the end result is increased power.

RPi, the company that makes the scoop, has their own tune which is specifically for their scoop but I don't trust it. ESS spends a lot of time and money on perfecting their tunes whereas I don't think RPi spends as much on R&D.

Also, when you did the dyno, did you do it right after installing or a couple days after? It takes a few miles and cold starts for the ECU to adjust to the difference in flow. Thats why I hate those threads where people swap parts and do dynos one after the other, the ECU doesn't have time to adjust.
Appreciate 0