Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Roadster View Post
Honestly I still think it would be fun but in a different way. The auto would make it a nice cruiser car you can take out to the beach or something and anyone can drive it. At the end of the day it's still a two-seater convertible which is the recipe for fun. But if you think you'd be happier with a manual then chances are you would be. I don't understand the car guy thing of hating automatics and all that, i'm glad they exist. There are people who can't drive manual for one reason or another but they can still enjoy the car with an auto. Personally I think most older cars are better with manual transmissions simply because the technology wasn't there. Modern automatics are a total different story.
I completely agree. I'll take my '03 auto z4 any day compared to a '79 auto vette I drove once.

I think sport button is a must. In sport manual shift auto I think the m54 in my z4 is more responsive and smoother shifting than my base e82 128 with n52.

And not sure how many others out there left foot brake in their auto but it does change the vanilla driving that the "manual only" crowd tend to overlook. I think left foot braking during heavy cornering can be just as gratifying to an auto driver as heel toe work for a manual driver during cornering. Each their own but different can be good to either way
I left foot brake my auto, it's fun, it's also useful for training my brain for left foot braking with an MT at the track.

On the auto/manual note, my modern 8speed auto shifts pretty much as fast as a DCT. I like it, even in D in sport it shifts where I'd shift (holding revs in corners etc). Paddles are fun too because it's instant gratification.

The only downside is I now expect that from an auto, and it is painful experiencing lag with older AT tech. I have an 06 auto Tacoma, and all I do is yell at the transmission for being slow and making bad gear choices lol. Man it's awful.

So for performance reasons I'd take the manual in an E85. Not because MTs are magic but because the performance from that era MT vs AT is significant, and the MT's performance suits the car's character.
Appreciate 0