View Single Post
      09-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #13
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I think the roadster will appreciate, but the coupe will always outpace it. The coupe has a number of combinations that make it unique: the low numbers produced, the unique body shape, and the last of the old school M engines. The roadster has some of that, but I think it will have appeal for a different reason. I think vintage roadsters have almost universal appeal with the public, but the M roadster will not appeal as much to the true collector, unless it is some rarity like kept in a heated garage with 2000 miles on it in pristine shape. It's just really fun to have the top down on a roadster, the tight handling, the M engine. I can see many of us saving the roadster for taking our grandkids out for a ride in grandpa's cool car, passing it on to our kid when we're too old to drive, etc.

I think a lot of folks up to now have overlooked these cars. They didn't know they exist. What is great is that for $25K or less, you can usually get a low mileage M roadster, sink another $10K into it over the life of ownership, and if you don't put a ton of miles on it, can probably sell it for $30K in 10 years. You're basically getting the use of the car for free. I had this discussion with a friend. If you're really good at spotting the hot new cars like the 1M, you can buy it, drive it as long as you like, and sell it at a profit. So, that very expensive rare car is actually free of charge. You just have to pick the right car and don't get into a wreck. :-)

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00