View Single Post
      12-07-2019, 09:45 AM   #19
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Law enforcement is responding to an armed robbery that became a gunfight. The perpetrators then carjacked a truck an took a person hostage.

First, I can guarantee you the hostage and his loved ones wouldn't like your plan to "remove the threat" of law enforcement and let them get away. Sure you'll find the truck, but we're not trying to protect the citizens from the truck! It's the guys IN THE TRUCK we're chasing. Can you imagine being held hostage and the cops chasing your hostage takers stop their pursuit? I'd be furious.

Also, as soon as the armed robbers started shooting they became a threat to society that needed to be stopped at all costs. This means law enforcement is going to use escalating force until they're stopped. Yes, this includes firing at the threat on a busy highway. It sucks to be caught in the crossfire, but let's keep perspective here. It's the robbers/kidnappers fault any of this happened.
Unsurprising you have a very simple comment like this. There were many things that could’ve been done in the previous twenty miles before it became a shootout in a crowded intersection. “It sucks” to be caught in the crossfire? What an understatement, can you imagine if your wife and kids are in the back of that SUV that a group of cops are using as cover? Uh no that is beyond sucks and unfortunate. Cops are trained (and indirectly take an oath not to) use innocent civilians as human shields. That will most definitely lead to a lot of problems for a lot of the cops in that situation.

In the end an innocent civilian and the hostage are both dead. Obviously not a successful outcome. As has been said a long investigation will reveal what went wrong. The only good thing to come of this is that hopefully LE can learn from the mistakes made here. I guarantee you there are a ton of current cops across the country that are dumbfounded by what they just saw as well.
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34173.50
Sedan_Clan24980.50