09-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #140
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Another pet peeve of mine is mindless conversation. When I see someone and ask how they are doing, I'm genuinely asking how they are. I am not asking for the following responses: "I'm living the dream", "Riding around", "If I was doing any better I'd be twins", etc. One that I recently heard that I found amusing was "I'm as fine as snuff and not half as dusty." That was a new one, but soon everyone will be saying it too.

I have also come to find that some people will also use "How are you?" as a means od dumping all their problems on you. I avoid these people. Yes, I did ask how you are, but I am not your therapist.
I think your expectation of a meaningful conversation after asking "how are you doing" is misguided. "How are you" is generally akin to whats up, hi, hey, hows it going, etc. Its simply a common greeting and in a sense somewhat rhetorical as most people dont expect and long-winded genuine response back. At least that is how I view and seemingly anyone else I encounter.

I think the funny/sarcastic responses you listed are actually more normal than if someone where to go into a deep explanation of how they are actually doing. If I am grabbing my morning coffee and say hi how are you doing to a coworker in the kitchen I would find it strange if they offered up some in-depth answer into their personal well-being.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00