Thread: Hello S54
View Single Post
      07-20-2018, 02:11 AM   #55
ZAR4MC
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

On my quest for more Grip/handling... i started with coilovers and now was time to look at Tires . the OEM 225/45R18|255/35/R18 setup is not bad at all but on the really tight circuits like VKC/Gymkhana.ect, the front doesn't have enough grip .

First i was looking into running a 235/35/R18 | 265/30/R18 which i was going to fit but was then lucky enough to find 2x Rear (9J) Z4M rims in great condition so i quickly grabbed them as i had the bright idea of running a 265/30/R18 square setup on 9J rims both front and rear.

Next up My brother purchased a Set of M3 rims with Semi Slick tires for his car so i figured i'd test the 265 square setup with his 2 rear M3 rims (265's) and my Rear Z4M rims (265's) on the front.. This way i can confirm the setup will work before forking out cash for 2 more 265's for the other two 9J's.

I fitted the M3 rims on the rears and wanted to run some 6mm spacers i had lying around but the standard wheel bolts weren't long enough so i've ordered a set of 10mm Spacers with extended bolts. hopefully they will arrive soon...

In order to fit the 9J rims and 265 tires in front, I had to adjust the camber to as -ve as it could go for the tire to clear the wheel arch when the shock is compressed. there's still enough space between the tire and the strut so thats not an issue... Maybe i can run a 275 square setup at some point in the future.. [emoji1]

Once all was secure, I took the car for a test drive and my initial impressions are that the steering as lost some of its feel/sharpness with the bigger rim/tire in front but after i managed to get some heat in the semi's at the rear, i took the car on a few hard corners and the front end grip has improved drastically... it really gives the confidence to dive hard into the corner flat out! cant wait to try it out at the next event. [emoji49]

Next up - Paint the Z4 rims, put 265 tires on and fit it on the car...