05-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
///Rage
I love ///M
England
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkz4mc View Post
I'm in the process of putting in some Cobra Suzuka's. I'm building my own base plates instead of the VAC ones so I can make them perfect for what I need ( 3/4" thick aluminum plate like the VAC's, but only with the size / holes I need to keep weight down). I made some mock ones out of Oak first to make sure I got the perfect size / fit / seat placement.

It's a pretty labor intensive job so far, but I'm really looking forward to getting it all together. Hopefully I'll have the plates finished this week so I can get them anodized and put in.

As far as the Airbag SRS light. From what I've learned so far the only way past that is to either get a resistor wired in somehow ( I've heard this doesn't work tho ) or to get a passenger seat occupancy mat out of a stock Z4 M Sport seat and place it under the passenger seat padding / plug it in. That said, I asked the dealer about getting one, and here in the US they only sell it with the base of the seat / leather & foam included for $1500.00.... Yikes. They said I could try to get it separately in EU, but I haven't asked anyone about that yet.

All in all tho, I'm really excited to see the total weight dropped in the end... I'm optimistic it's going to be between 75-100 lbs after the addition of the mounting plates / harness bar and seat belts. I've heard the stock seats weigh 70 lbs a side, and they do feel super heavy, but I haven't weighed them yet to confirm.

As far as selling your seats.. I'd keep 'em, because you never know what you'll do in the future, and the OEM price of them in the US is $4k each if you need to replace them.

Hope this helps...
Which Suzuka's did you go for? Im really tempted by the techs but realistically Ill go for the standard pros in alcantara. Hopefully they wont wear badly as this will be a DD too.
Appreciate 0