View Single Post
      12-30-2020, 11:56 AM   #45
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B328iC View Post
I know this is an old post but haw does the switching to the 17's from 18's effect handling? Does the increased "foot print" of the wider tires help it or does it make it easier to break loose due to the less rigidly of the sidewall. How does it effect the ride? On the street does the extra tire sidewall add a little more protection to the rim? I have a stock setup and only street drive mine.
Dropping down to a smaller diameter wheel and tire will result in the following differences:

1. Wheel weight. Going from 18" to 17" wheels will reduce your rotating mass at each corner, which will make for a more "nimble" handling feel, as the car will feel more eager to turn in and change direction.

2. Increased sidewall. With a larger sidewall, you will have improved ride comfort and compliance, which is great for street driving. While this can slightly increase sidewall flex on the front tires, the additional flex with the rear tires can result in less wheel-spin from a dig. The additional sidewall size can help protect your wheels from road hazards, as well.

3. Tire cost. Smaller diameter tires will typically be less expensive in most cases.

4. Brake clearance. This is the main negative aspect when dropping down to a smaller diameter wheel. With certain brake kits, clearance could potentially be an issue, requiring a spacer to clear smaller 17" wheels. Larger BBK's may not even be able to fit under certain 17" wheels, requiring 18" or larger diameters to clear.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions, please let me know!

-Geirsen