View Single Post
      08-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #18
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
When my DW started looking for an EV, the Hyundai Kona BEV was her choice. My car-guy brother owns a gas Kona, and raves about it as a daily commuter car. The test drive was impressive, but the cabin seemed cramped by that stupid ironing board with switches between the two front seats:

Besides the cramped front seats, the rear seats were tight on leg room. The ceiling also seemed low in the front seats, but this may have been because it had a sunroof.

When I was talking to my brother about it, he suggested looking at the Kia Niro BEV because it allegedly uses the same exact motor and batteries but is a bit larger and was getting even better reviews online. Our local Kia dealership only had a gas Niro in stock, which DW sat in (without driving) and decided that it had the proper interior room that she wanted. Ordered the BEV version sight unseen on the spot, and all of the dealer's sales/service staff were hovering around it when we arrived for pickup the next week since it was the first one they ever saw.

It doesn't have the sunroof, and the ceiling seems higher. The front seats aren't cramped, and the rear seats had acceptable leg room. Everything seems one size larger, and as I said I can't pry the key fob out of DW's hands for coming up on three months of ownership now. She shows it off and explains the EV lifestyle wherever she goes, and it surprises a lot of people.

They both have the same "paddle shifter" setup to vary regenerative braking force, and drive the same minus a bit of performance/range lost in the Kia due to being slightly larger.

The one benefit that the Hyundai had over the Kia was a better battery warranty. Hyundai was offering a "lifetime" battery warranty, with no spelled out parameters for degradation or age. It would have been fun to see how it played out in court if a claim needed to be made with the lack of fine print in the printed sales materials.....