View Single Post
      09-12-2021, 07:06 PM   #4
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Also certain things to consider is in what the individual is wanting or modding, trims down the line are different and can't really be clumped to generalization no matter the make.
Non M Z4 vs M, when you look at shared components on Non M used in an E46 that is catered to the mass, not one individuals needs. Engineers designing components for a Non M E46 they think of the family car toting the kids around to soccer practice then going for a grocery run aren't thinking of potentially driving their car as spirited as someone wanting more thrills in a z4 for example, also thinking of tire consumption and so forth with the tune.
There's a fine line in R&D when it comes to the outcome of having to reengineer suspension of one car vs sharing those parts from across the entire product line to make it work. Manufactures make for the masses, not for the individual driving style, hence more safe understeer tune rather than oversteer. Never thought I'd see so many bitch that a Supra is tail happy, but there's tons of complaints of too much oversteer on the first 2020 tune.

I think this is a big reason now you see "track pack" trims coming out in a lot of new production cars these days. Track edition RCF, how many track packs dodge has going now I can't even keep them straight anymore. AND that's why they cost so much more than base models as well as get limited production run numbers. It costs a lot more and time to reengineer suspension for one set of wants/needs.

I agree with some of what's talked about with forum bias when it comes to mods when you start reading on someone's personal experience with X mod done. It's also a thin line of some times fan boy excitement. But also when it comes down to R&D reputable aftermarket companies tend to do a lot. I had a very informative conversation the first time I rang into Apex for example.

Anyone doing any mod should always first ask what they want to get out of it to themselves. Another example is the give/take when changing your final drive gear ratio. I can't remember what I had been watching but was so true when they said it takes a very special and bold person to indulge a track set up suspension on their daily, and coming from piss pore Michigan roads an extra seat padding if you have a fixed back seat wouldn't be a bad idea . So many say they want a sport or stiff suspension, until they actually have it and have a sore rear and noggin after.

Just take the due diligence to do as much research about what ever you want to do before making the plunge. There was a time, when I first got my Z4 that I said I'd never mod the car....that ship sailed a very long time ago
Appreciate 0