05-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #26
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKe86 View Post
I'm still so excited (even though you didn't really answer my question hehe )

Anyway, pardon my ignorance if I've missed it in a previous thread - but what is your background or what is it that you do professionally?

It sure sounds like it's related to these processes and fabrication, but I'm just curious as I'm sure others are. We're all so excited about the possibility of the part and the thought of someone stepping up to the plate to give it a go that either everybody already knows except for me, or nobody cares what your background is as long as you can pop out a piece that fits.. :rofl:

Again, just asking out of sheer curiosity. Not trying to stir the pot.
No worries ...its all relative. I am currently employed as an ME in a somewhat un-related industry.

My composites/plastics grasp comes from working as an R&D ME for 10 years. I was responsible for quick prototype design and troubleshooting.

This project as with others I'm developing ...are all in line with my history and experience. I love doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azadian2b View Post
I just got the thought of injection molding from your first post when you mention the "UV inhibitor infused in its semi-liquid construction." Being that you're working with a thermoplastic I just figured it was injection molding or vacuuforming and if you were vacuuforming it wouldn't really have a point in which it was a liquid. That's just where the thought (as ill conceived as it may have been) came from. I have an IE education, but as that isn't my profession it's only enough to get me in trouble :P

Oh I see now where you got this. I was more referring to the way the UV and color tints are introduced by the bulk sheet manufacturer.

With respect to the flex, my guess would try to keep it as close to stock as possible. I wouldn't necessarily want any acrylic or PC piece being load bearing which may occur if the piece is too rigid and the frame of the car flexes around it. Not saying that as a plus or a minus for the bubbles or not because it can be engineered either way for the desired characteristics. Maybe the substructure you're building would deflect any load around the acrylic pieces. Just one more thing to consider.
Bear in mind...the OEM metal roof is BOLTED on as well as adhered with sealer.

Its a pretty lightweight part to be honest. Which leads me to believe one of two things exist here.

1)-BMW engineers made the roof and its substructure with flex in mind (Or) >

2)-Flex is only there due to lightweight material stiffness to save production costs and the outer roof surrounding chassis frame is plenty stiff on its own merit.

My prototype will be a good test on some rough roads and hot days. I planned on corner jacking the car too to see what occurs whithin the flush points of fit.

Last edited by Twisted Six; 02-19-2014 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0