Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 1 View Post
Looking for insight on items that are or maybe discontinued. Does it make sense to buy items that maybe discontinued in the future,but not needed now (conver. top motor etc.). Not sure I'm thinking about this right, just have seen items gone and now wanted or items hard to find. I plan on keeping my M roadster a long time and need any input that would shed some light on the subject.
Thank you,Mike.
People buy goods that will be hard to find in the future on speculation all the time knowing that they will be worth more than they paid in years to come
If you can afford to tie up funds today for profit tomorrow I say go for it.
Don't think OP is motivated by future profit but rather the desire to keep his car maintained for himself and fear that it may not be possible due to the unavailability of parts.

I'm no expert. I do know people have been restoring classic cars that are far older than the Z4MR. So it might not be a serious concern just a time, effort and money thing. Perhaps to this post's credit it might be cheaper in the very long run to buy those parts at today's prices rather than look to specialty aftermarket or custom manufacturing. I am not informed in this regard.

That said isn't there an auto parts law in the United States at least that specifies automakers have to make parts for cars for x number of years? I don't think its a short length of time. And there are 3rd parties making quality tops I believe for a variety of convertibles, Z4's would be just one of their catalogue of cars and since I assume the top is the same there are more Z4's on a whole than just M models meaning bigger market to be profitable in than just M's.
Appreciate 0