04-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #22
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Yes, the costs could get out of hand with SM to, but at some point if you find yourself doing this a lot some kind of track specific car with lower operating costs (and greater safety) starts making more and more sense. I think you've recommended thinking along those lines to others from time to time. I no where near considering that, but it's something I will keep in mind for down the road (or track as the case may be).
Right, I warned you!

And, yes, a track specific car makes a lot of sense for safety and piece of mind reasons. And IF you can control your urges around mods and do a lot of track days, it can make financial sense.

However, I am just in the process of learning what it takes to turn a DE car into a race car. OMFG! I did grossly underestimate the financial commitment and the level of effort required!

I'm not bitter or anything, and in a really strange sense, it is been worth every penny so far (as long as you can afford it and keep yourself out of debt, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I was watching that Australian V8 Supercars series last weekend. Man, what a totally Aussie take on racing. Tight tracks, contact allowed even out of the pits! Kind of like Rubgy Racing IMO. Very exciting stuff and I plan to watch more.
Best series to watch IMO. These guys really go at it and remain cool about it for the most part. You don't see NASCAR style fist fights, etc in general. I guess that is the Aussie sprit?