04-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Cool. I have a friend who got into open wheel racing a little. Actually, the costs of running in entry level series sounded reasonable--cars are relatively cheap to aquire and maintain. What he didn't like was kids with ambition (moving up the ladder and trying to get noticed to get free rides or even pay) doing stupid things on the track. Less of an issue with production cars I would think. Most of us are just tooling around because this is what makes us tick, and not to eventually climb into an F1 seat.
I have a few friends who ran the Skip Barber Formula series, and they said similar. A lot of youngsters who came up through karting go the open wheel format, and with the right exposure and pocketbook to continue, it's a great way to get into the likes of Indy lites and Indy eventually, but there's only so many seats in those series so most go elsewhere. I'll likely go the Spec Miata route as it seems to offer a high level of competitive driving at an affordable rate, quite a few of my friends who drive in Grand-Am race these for fun cheap seat time in the off season.