View Single Post
      01-29-2023, 03:14 PM   #19
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I figure it can't hurt. I'm pretty well familiar with BMWs brake wear systems since I've had them on all 5 of my BMWs since back to the 1989 E30 and done at least 15 brake jobs since then. It pretty simple, the wear indicator breaks circuit once the pad wears it out and a new sensor turns off the light. I thought replacing the sensors would fix it for you, which is why I've not weighed in until today. I've replaced the brakes in my Coupe just once and IIRC the scan told me what axle it was*.

My only other thoughts are the brake fulid level sensor is bad, or a mouse nawed on one of the pad sensor harness between the body and connector. You might need to pull the left rear and right front wheelwell liners to check.

The dual-stage system like in the E90 can get all cattywampus if you don't replace the sensors before you reset the CBS, but the E86 doesn't have that type of system.

* Edit.

I just checked my E86 service records. It turns out I replaced all four brakes at the same time, but the rears were down to the nubs. In my service notes I wrote, "At first drive to bed pads, the pad wear light did not reset. After ignition off and restart, the icon went off and has stayed off." I remember that was unusual since I had never experienced that before.

So dumb question #2, have you driven the car since you replaced the sensors?
Thanks, I have had the wheel well liners off and everything looked good, no signs of mice activity.

I would love to take the car out for a drive but I have a foot of snow in front of the garage so it won't be anytime soon.

I disconnected the battery last night and also pulled the plug on the brake fluid level sensor.
Connected the battery this morning and turned the ignition to ON, the brake light was a constant red, then plugged in the brake fluid level sensor and the brake light went back to amber, so that looks to me like the fluid level sensor is working.
I still think it is connect to the DSC in some way, that's what I'm going to focus on for now.