View Single Post
      04-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #7
B328iC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 97 328iC, 2003 Z4

I decided to check with a few after market suppliers to see what if anything they carried in the area of reinforcement for the Z4.
Bimmerworld only carries the bottom reinforcement plate that mounts to the bottom of the car.
Turner carries a Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Limiter kit and Rear shock Mount Reinforcement plates.
TC Kline carries Rouge Rear Trailing Arm Shims.
ECS carries Rear Shock Mount Reinforcement plates, the bottom reinforcement plate that mounts to the bottom of the car, Rear Trailing Arm Bushing Limiter kit and a Weld-In Camber Arm Reinforcement kit.
I even called my local BMW dealer to check with them and they have never installed a set of the Strut Reinforcement plates on a Z4. They had done so on some E46's but not a Z4.
So in checking it looks like the weakest points in the E85 Z4 are the rear shocks might need the reinforcement plates. I believe most of the Z4's came equipped with the Bottom reinforcement plate as I know mine with the M Sport Suspension did. The Rear Trailing arm and the rear Camber Arms seem to be the points needing the most attention.
If you want to add the E46 Strut Reinforcement plates you will need to drill out a hole for the pin that's on the Z4 mount or remove the pin. But I have not been able to find anywhere that it actually helps or that there is a real need for the plate. All I have found is it's "cheap insurance".
Appreciate 0