10-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #16
pip_pill
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 6 speed

Garage List
Prod. Date 1987-09- ...  [0.00]
2003 Z4  [8.00]
Completion of install

Grom USB3 installed (with DSP option)... into Gray front OEM HIFI option Radio Z4 2003 - no changes are required to car setup to install!
No pics... as its all hidden away.
1 Grom USB3 behind the removable ashtray
2 Bluetooth module behind/above the radio - just under the dash top - for maximum connection strength (talks to my phone 30 feet away!)
3 Microphone wire was fed from behind and wedged into the top of the instrument cluster plastic surround - hangs just in front of the left turn signal light indicator
4 Cable from front to rear - tucked under the center console fed through the rear bulkhead (next to right speaker) to the trunk
5 DSP installed in the trunk under the rear carpet NOTE: instructions say "switched power supply" ie the original CD supply (three pin plug) is not switched!. Chatted with Grom, they say the DSP is switched to low power when not in use ie not detecting signal - although they could not say what low power draw was!! I wonder if Ill have a flat battery at some point!
6 Connection Cables (USB x2 AUX) Temporary - tucked under the center console and come out just in front of the passenger seat
7 Still to check a USB thumb drive in the USB inputs...

Testing -Went for a 5 hour drive (in the White Mountains New Hampshire) at the weekend with:
The Ipod playing music through the USB interface (switching play lists with the buttons on the radio)- Android phone providing directions via bluetooth to the radio (switching off and on the music to provide direction info -although this got annoying and I turned off the voice directions interrupt - I think the ipod would start a new playlist each time it went back to it?) -

Used the Bluetooth button on the steering wheel to provide voice commands to the phone for directions and other commands to the phone (wikipedia/redirect to gas stations/additional destinations.

ipod provided text to the radio and displayed artist/album and song (although text was not scrolling - so only approximately 15 characters were displayed IO - ipod was charging!

microphone seems to pick up voice commands ok - even with the roof down traveling at speed

Steering wheel controls - Volume/track up and down worked/Bluetooth worked- didn't get to using the R/T button didn't seem to work!

Sound quality (into the "HIFI option" OEM install) sounded good to me no buzzing/clicks or any other interference (i did wonder if the front to rear cable may have had some interference) but so far there is none

NOTE: system does seem slow to respond sometimes ie
press bluetooth button and it takes a few seconds 5 - 10 for the system to expect a voice command IE "Speak up!" appears on the Radio interface... or
Also when switching to providing a voice direction and back to music system seems a little slow especially when the navigation is giving a lot of directions although this could have been the ipod delaying the return to music

Overall -I very pleased with it...

Just ordered a Gaptech one touch control from Gary Price in the UK
Description Unit price Qty Amount
RCH+
Item# RCH+ Postage: 9.99 £99.98 GBP 1 £99.98 GBP
Subtotal £99.98 GBP
Total £99.98 GBP
Payment £99.98 GBP

Last edited by pip_pill; 10-29-2017 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0