Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i 6 speed

Garage List
Prod. Date 1987-09- ...  [0.00]
2003 Z4  [8.00]
Intravee II vs grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
I use an Intravee II paired with an Alpine KCA-420i unit that I modified to not allow the iPod to go into sleep mode. I'm using it with a Gen 6 iPod Nano that I keep in the center console (routed cable into it) , and it also requires a 5V charging adapter.

http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/intravee.html

It was not for the faint of heart in my car. Normally, the CD changer cables can be pulled into the trunk, but someone decided to be neat and tape down the cables in multiple places to the body of the car under the center console. I had to tear the entire back of the car off to get to it.

I also have the aux 3.5 connection and a low profile USB adapter where the ashtray and cigarette lighter was previously located.

This won't get you the USB connection, but it has an excellent iPod integration, though it's a little tricky at first to figure out how to navigate. For me, it works best to create playlists in genres such as Blues, Classic Rock, Jazz, and then create additional playlists for roadtrips as needed. The Intravee II is a slick piece. The gentleman that invented it passed away, so there are no more updates being produced for it.

I posted a DIY for my nightmare install, but Photobucket won't display pictures. When I have some time, I'll update the install with pics. There are some real tricks to getting to certain areas.

Here is the link to the broken DIY, but you can at least ready about it, and there are some other links that may still be good.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230786

Salty
Thanks for the link - I had read some of it already but without photos - its not a lot of use... Don't know why photobucket pics are not in the forum "anywhere" makes much past info useless much of the time?!
Why Intravee II and why over Grom?
Appreciate 0