Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
The whole "professional" and "business" naming back then was just goofy, I presume a poor translation from German and not so dopey there.

The Z4 head unit is what it is. What matters is which overall system you have - the standard one or the "HiFi" option with its upgraded speakers & subs, plus "Carver technology" amp (actually made by Lear - who also makes the seats). The Carver system is actually pretty good, despite the lack of features of the head unit.

In 2020 I use my iPhone exclusively for source material, via the aux port. I can stream Sirius XM at 320kbps (thanks to unlimited data), Spotify, my entire music collection, podcasts, whatever. Yeah it's a bit clunky compared to a modern solution, but works quite well and sound quality is fantastic.
My Carver system sounds like poo...so muddy. The base system in my 16 years old X5 sounds so much better - much clearer on the highs and more solid on the lows. That said, it doesn't bother me as much in the Z because the stereo is off on most of my drives.

Last edited by XMetal; 03-17-2020 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0