mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC (Sepang/Sepang/insane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
No! Sell it to me!
Something, something, offer I can't refuse? Seriously, if somebody wants the interior out of this car, make me an offer. It's coming out at some point anyway, and if it'll help pay for the cage, harnesses, seats, etc. I might as well do it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
Damn - great work! My 2JZ swap was surely a breeze compared to what you're going through. Much respect.

I like the build comments and photos, reminds me of my build thread in many respects. If you run into odd ball issues or want to bounce some ideas, PM me!

Also, why that Setrab cooler? I went with a CSF long bottom mount unit on mine, which gets you the advantage of frontal airflow for cooling right beneath the radiator, not blocking anything else. Better than trying to place a cooler now in front of your radiator, or worse, to the side. Then again, you don't have a huge front mount like I do, with an AC condenser sandwhiched between lol.

I also looked at hood louvers, but my car sees road duty often, and rain/washing my car would just sour my day.

Interested to see what power you make when all is said and done!
Thanks man! I sincerely doubt that this is anywhere near 2JZ swap territory as far as weirdness or complexity is concerned, but I also appreciate the props. I will definitely PM you with any questions - sure does look like you went down a similar road so far as taking the whole damn car apart is concerned.

I picked the Setrab 650 because it has the lowest (or second-lowest, can't remember) pressure drop of their 6-series line, and has enough surface area that I should never need to worry about oil temp. The huge cooler is the reason for the Earl's oil cooler thermostat - I don't want to over-cool it. I honestly don't know if this is stupidly oversized or not, but over-engineering the oil system on a race engine never hurt (see also: the Moroso oil accumulator). I didn't want the E46 / E86 style cooler because they have pretty significant pressure drop - like 6-11 PSI if memory serves (fake edit: ECS says that the CSF E46 M3 oil cooler has a 10 PSI pressure drop) - versus the 1.8 PSI drop Setrab claims for the 650. Since I have to redo all of the airflow management in the nose of the car anyway - and I'm deleting the A/C, because I hate myself - I figure I can sort out the water and oil radiators in a way that will be reasonable. And yeah, no intercooler either. Just oil and water.

Since I'm doing airflow management on the front end, I should be able to manufacture some air pressure over the splitter, which will pressurize the underhood area pretty badly if I don't let it out somewhere. I don't want it under the car (lift BAD, downforce GOOD) so louvres it is. Plus I think they look awesome.

I am hoping to be in the 370-400WHP range when all is said and done. We shall see. Similar builds are in this territory, but of course a lot of it comes down to the porting and tuning. Since I'm running the stock ECM and have their airbox, I'm working with Evolve in the UK - they're pretty bullish about how their tune is going to work with this setup. Should be some interesting dyno sessions!
Appreciate 0