12-02-2020, 01:41 PM   #77
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtercoffee View Post
100% agree with you on looking at the whole system.

Nice work modifying the H&R coils. I see your bump stop is pretty beefy. The FA bump stops are comically short. They're like 1/2in rubber pucks (not a measurement, just from my memory) which I assume was to give more travel. They're probably just there to prevent the shock from breaking on impact. I've bottomed out very hard and the shocks show no sign of damage.

Since I'm in New York, I didn't lower the front much, since I did not want to reduce travel.

My valving is digressive since I have the "MSC" coilovers from FA which go softer at high speed. This is a contributing factor to why I'm bottoming out on large bumps. I'm not considering changing my shocks at this point since the ride is comfortable for the most part, I don't have the harshness issue you had with H&R.

Will see if I can get more info from DaveJB on the rationale for FA's recommendation here with the longer spring.

Update: The FA coilovers ride height adjustment is via the bottom of the shock body, so that wouldn't affect shock travel (w.r.t. "Keep in mind that the moment you lower the car ANY amount")
it seems then you are under-damped if you are sure you are bottoming out with the rates you have (which are on the stiff side). I have much softer springs and I don't bottom out.

I really would like a damper job with fatcatmotorsports but it is not affordable, to say the least.

The H&R damping is linear but they are very stiff and they have way too much gas force. Based on what I have found is that you are better off with medium springs, the "right" dampers, and sways if you feel spings allow for too much lean during cornering.

I wish you find the balance you want. is not easy and annoyingly there is not a good system out of the box for our cars.
Appreciate 0