View Single Post
      05-18-2020, 12:37 PM   #41
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Junk mail is the only reason they are still around. About half of everything they handle is junk mail, and more than half of their revenue comes from it. In 2012 they had to dramatically increase the amount of junk just to keep from going under.

https://stateimpact.npr.org/new-hamp...ostal-service/
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/b...junk-mail.html

I'll bet email is just a fad, too. Let them die already.
I might be showing my lack of understanding here, and if that is the case and someone comes along to enlighten me; I'm all for it. How do they track ROI on mass mailing "Advertising appeals?" How are they to determine out of X number of direct mailers that X amount of customers bought what they are selling and how do they determine that X amount of sales were brought in from their mailers?

"Machine gun" tactics work, but in the percentages, it's a very low number; but what is the number? If I fire 100 bullets and 10 hit the mark, how much did the ammo cost compared to the amount of profit I stand to make?

Also not a fan of their terminology. Advertising appeals makes it sound like such a compelling offer to be hood-winked via mail. When I was in sales/marketing, they were referred to as Direct Mail Pieces....I hated them then too. Not once, in my 7 years of sales and marketing with one particular company, did I or any of my employees connect a sale with any of the mailers that we sent out. We kept track of them because I hated doing them. My boss told me to do it anyway and if we never saw a direct correlation that we could stop. We stopped alright, but without his permission. I'm amazed he didn't ask to do cold calls as well.

I'm trying to remember if I have ever gotten something in the mail that influenced my buying decision. Does anyone here go in to their junk mail folder in their email to see what goodness is trying to be sold to them?
Appreciate 0