View Single Post
      07-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Fixed bucket seats and roll bars

This discussion has been driven to the ground all around the internets, but here is my dilemma. Past HPDEs, my body is moving around way too much in the seat. I get soars on my knees and muscles from holding my body in place during cornering. I'm a skinny guy and need better seat support.

Wanted to get some fixed-back bucket seats (and save some weight as well), but the internet says I need to use 5-pt harness, which means I need a harness bar, which means I need a roll cage, and this, and that, and in the end, if you don't do it all, don't do it at all.

The theory about bucket seats without a roll bar is that during a roll over, you don't have the reclining seat's ability to "break" and tilt itself, giving your head some room before hitting the roof. On my car in particular, there is NO room for the seat to recline due to the rear bulkhead - thus I don't even think I get the benefit of reclining to save my head.

Having said that, wouldn't running fixed bucket seats without a roll bar work just as well (I'm talking rollover concerns, not any other safety concerns such as 3-pt harness use). I've been able to insert stock 3-pt harness through the right side access hole on the Z, thus it can work.

Ultimately, I need to find a way to secure myself into the seat better than with these M-seats.