View Single Post
      03-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #67
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep
Drives: 2006 Imola Red Z4 M Roadster

yea about 12 whp and 15 tq, but that isn't bad considering the outside temps were so low... low 40's. I think with 90-100f OAT's we will see a major advantage (delta). The Torque was nice and I think the way the tune was written and the ECU in general will pull timing when it sees a lot of TQ early in the power band. In the winter you would think you will see higher HP numbers, but the tq is "way up" early, so you loose top end HP (early timing being pulled). This has been a major eye opener for me. Everyone, including myself thinks you will get major HP in cool temps..right? It doesn't work this way with either the ESS tune or maybe it's the ECU.... what I have learned is you see a major bump in torque early(cool temps) with FI and then the ECU say's "no! at 6000rpm I'm taking you down a few notches tuff guy" This explains why I made more HP on a 7 psi pulley as opposed to a 8-9 psi pulley. The difference is that the 8 psi pulley made mucho! torque early and pissed off the tune or ECU or both. FI is a major balance act on this engine and tune....and that was an understatement. I'm making more power on less boost! this engine and tune is very sensitive to alterations.The water/meth was finicky as well, but I new what it liked from the beginning. Smallest nozzle and start 2psi max 6 psi progression rate. I honestly can't believe I picked up this much torque and HP with the air temps as cold as they were. I learned that the effective octane increase isn't quite what everyone wants to think. This water/meth will make a major improvement in the summer...that I'm convinced of after all the testing we did. I spent several hours on the dyno playing with every combination you can imagine. I learned that this very tiny nozzle just outside the intercooler will drop AIT's big time and won't smother the flame. One should look at this setup as a secondary cooler only....that's it. You won't get the effective octane needed for high boost ops. This would require straight 100% meth...which would require a different tune to allow for the very rich 100% meth. 50/50 works great because it won't change AFR's by much...but the cooling effect is tremendous!! wordy response, but it is actually more complicated than I expected. Might as well go to Medical school OH! and yes you are correct...I believe with catless headers and of course ESS blessed catless tune I will see another 20+HP. This tune is locked by a golden key inside the ECU by ESS....and that is a fact. Is there more capability within this tune? Maybe, but we won't be allowed access. That's just business though. I have to say, from what I've seen so far... AJ is a very! and I mean VERY smart bear

Last edited by fr8tdog; 03-30-2011 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0