View Single Post
      01-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Car_Girl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 xDrive 5.0i

Thanks for the life saving tip!

People - please take a moment to watch the video - it's worth the few minutes of time it'll take you to learn something that chances are you probably don't already know.

I work in the auto industry and after almost 20 years of thinking I'd seen it all but this one is really shocking. Nobody would assume that tire companies would sell a product that has a potential to fail unexpectedly but severely like the young man in the video who was killed due to the tire age even though they should have been perfectly fine.

So a few years ago, it was tire inflation that Firestone's sidewall failure taught people a lesson to keep their tires inflated (and now we see tire pressure monitors on many new model cars).

Will the next system be a tire age system that will tell you to go have your tires inspected to determine that they need to be replaced due to the build date?

I can't think of an easy way people would know when to get their tires replaced but there does need to be scientific evidence that shows what factors in combination with each other cause tire age to accelerate.

Thanks for the post!
Appreciate 0