12-30-2018, 08:37 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
91k in 11 years works out to 8319 miles per year. That is low mileage in any book.
I would actually be concerned if a 10 plus year old car with only 50k has had it's rubber parts maintained, gaskets, hoses and bushings break down by years as well as mileage. If some one isn't driving their car very often, are they still maintaining it, or just parking it?
I bought my 2008 3.0si Coupe in December 2014. The build date is November 2007, so it was 7 years old when I acquired it. The original owner drove it 23,000 miles from sometime between January 2008 though October 2014 (when I found it at CarMax), so around 3,500 miles/year. I've now had it 4 years and it's parked outside in a carport, it has 91,000 miles on it now. I have a lift, so I inspect the car thoroughly several times a year during routine maintenance and tire rotations. The oil pan, valve cover, and OFHG are bone dry (I have a 12-year old very high mileage E90 with the N52, so I'm very familiar with the N52 drivetrain). The transmission output shaft seal and shift-rod seal are bone dry as are the 3 differential seals.

All hoses and rubber door seals and window seals are still soft and flexible. I've treated the window seals once with silicone once just to see if it made a difference. Biggest issue I have is the hatch struts are weakening and will need replacement soon.

I have a friend with a 2007 Z4 roadster. His windshield trim disintegrated. He just replaced it. I think it was over-treated with Armor-all, which dries out rubber.

Obviously, every car is subject to the environment it lives in, my car was from Columbus, Ohio and now resides in Central, Virginia. A car from the south west or north east may be different, but my car is in great shape regarding seals, gaskets, and rubber components.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0