07-14-2020, 12:10 AM   #15
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
That's assuming one can make the shift to work remotely if they're not already doing so. And because everyone else is going to have the same idea, you're going to have competition in getting these coveted remote work jobs. I've been able to work from home since 2011. I'm glad I made the shift to my current employer last year or I'd be really screwed. While that job was work from home too, the company is undergoing some major management challenges which started well before this whole COVID thing. I've spoken to a former coworker there. He said the whole situation has gotten worse from when I left. Massive numbers of RIFs, shake ups with management, increased work load, and a forced 10% pay cut over 2 months. I told the ones that had the ability to start looking when I got the heck out of there. But they decided to stay. All the ones that could see the writing on the wall bailed. I'm now watching the musical chairs thing play out and the number of available chairs is quickly disappearing. And the field I'm in is IT sales.
IT sales can be rough and extremely political based on who is leadership. I did sales/marketing/channel ops for most of my post-college career and it's extremely company dependent on how they handle remote workers. Always good to have some HQ people you trust keep a pulse on how things are going at the factory.

PS - In the Bay Area where a lot of firms are located, the move to remote is largely viewed as necessary and sustainable for the next 1-2 years. Some companies have done work from home indefinitely, others have said definitely through calendar year or two. Just so you have a feel for things around here if your company is based here.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50