12-15-2019, 04:29 AM   #1
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe

Autosolutions SSK - noises?

Hi all,

I'm hoping to hear others' experience with increased transmission noise after installing an Autosolutions short shift kit, specifically in Z4Ms.

I had the kit installed along with Vibra-Technics engine mounts a couple of months' ago. Immediately I noticed a high-pitched whine in second gear that starts at about 2,500rpm and becomes higher-pitched as revs increase. The whine is also there in third gear but is much less obvious.

There are also clunks when the clutch is disengaged and a whirring sound in third gear and higher at lowish (~2,000rpm) revs.

None of these noises are super loud. With the air conditioning on you can barely hear them and with the windows down you can't hear them at all.

I was expecting some increase in NVH but I haven't read about these kinds of noises from other people who have installed the AS SSK.

The action of the shifter is great and there is no movement or vibration; it's just these noises that I want to get to the bottom of.

I've been corresponding with Ronald over email but we haven't come to any solid theories yet. Ronald says he hasn't been in many Z4Ms post-install, so he doesn't have a good grasp on what is normal.

I ran the car for a couple of hundred km to see if it would bed-in but nothing changed. I also tried a ZHP shift knob and no knob at all but neither made the sounds go away.

I have the car booked in in early-January with the shop that installed it to see if they can find anything but just thought I would send a 'shout out' on these forums to get a gauge on whether anyone else has experienced something similar.

Obviously, the VT engine mounts may be contributing but AS SSK and VT mounts are pretty common in combination. If the shop can't find anything obvious I will be going back to new OE engine mounts.

Thanks in advance for any advice and comments.
Appreciate 0