View Single Post
      02-16-2019, 08:35 PM   #32
ShawnPaul
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Write up was great. My driveway options are the z4m coupe, 2014 Porsche Cayman and 2017 brz. All of my cars were chosen carefully for the experience. It's amazing how similar all 3 are, yet such different experiences. Completely different moods. The brz is the playful one that I just love putting sideways on gravel and snow as often at I can. The Porsche with the PDK and interior make it one of the best date night or weekend road trip cars. It's a serious handling car and I love the sound of the flat six. The Porsche uses electric assist steering that almost feels like true feedback. It took me a long time to realize that Porsche has managed to match the steering speed and weighting to the handling dynamics of the car so well that we almost think that it provides feedback. Then it leads me to the z4m coupe which undoubted is my favourite of the bunch. That low end growl when you blip the throttle at 2000-3000rpm just sounds upset with me for not keeping my foot buried. It doesn't want to go slow. The engine changes pitch as it goes up the revs and it's even more exciting that the other two. I think out of all the modern cars, the brz and cayman are two of the greatest driving experiences down a country road, but neither dethrone the bmw for sheer excitement. I get out of the Porsche thinking that it's a great car for getting me around the bend so quickly. I get out of the bmw thinking I am a great driver. It makes you work for a smooth apex. It's as direct of an expression of inputs as I can think of in a modern car. If you get it right, it's so fast. If you get it wrong, it can't wait to spin you backwards. I love the connection to the experience. Each of my cars brings me a very direct connection to the road, but that fast hydraulic steering can't be beat. I have no idea why everyone except lotus has abandoned it.
Once again, great write up.
Appreciate 0