07-01-2018, 02:17 AM   #19
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan13 View Post
I don't know if this will help or cause more confusing variables, but I'm experimenting as well, so here goes.

I'm running RE-71s as well. I just had my 5th day in the last 2 weeks on a new TCK double adjustable with 500 springs front and rear. My front is -3.6 with 0 toe, the rear is -2.4 with 0.40 degrees toe (0.20 per side). I try to run around 34-35 hot. The one big difference is that I'm running 265 square (4 rear wheels).

The wear pattern I was getting with 235 in the front is similar to yours. With 265, it seems to be better...not perfect, but at least I'm using more than the outside 25%. I know everyone says the Z needs stagger setup, but it seems to me that the car will push on corner entry if I have 235s. The 235 also has a slightly less stiff sidewall than the 265. I purchased a pyrometer to test some temps...I have 2 days this coming weekend at Summit, then 3 next weekend at Summit, and then 3 again at Pitt...so I'll take some logs.

36-37 pressure seems to be high to me, especially in the rear. On exit, the rear seems "active" if I'm around that pressure. Yes, the square setup is contributing, but I find that 34-35 seems better. At 37 front, I get more understeer in the front, 34 seems to quiet this down as well. I'm running stock everything else, bushings, etc.

I do the flip tire as well. Local Costco keeps the RE-71s in stock for me and they see me just about every other week for a flip or new tire.
I'll second everything you said regarding pressure and a square set-up. 265 front works well. I'm at -2.7 front stock suspension and I'm happier than with 235 or 245 front. Car is more neutral. Over 36 psi is really greasy feeling to me with the RE71s. Larger tire might dissipate heat better too than a 235 at the faster pace Dietrich is running. He's not over driving the tires, and he's reasonably quick! I drive with him quite a bit

As for me preferences I'm a bit better driver than I was a few years back (ok, 8-10 seconds better at Thill lol) so that may have some bearing on my opinions and likes stagger vs. square.

These RE71s wear quickly. After two track days mine look like the OP pics. I'm running less camber but with Direzzas the wear was more even and slower.
Appreciate 0